We love hearing about new and interesting ways to incorporate coffee into recipes. This time we reached out to one of our subscribers and absolute legend Neane Carter. She was kind enough to let us all in on a family recipe and we’re super egg-cited to share it with you.
The story behind the recipe.
For nearly a decade this EGGNOG recipe has been a family staple. Although the recipe has changed through the years, and the amount of alcohol has increased, the meaning of family, love and togetherness hasn’t. This year I decided to add two beyond bags which gave the original recipe a nice subtle hint of coffee. These bags would work amazingly with any recipe that requires steeping and was easy to sift out with the other ingredients. I am excited to bring the joy of Beyond EGGNOG to my family and friends this festive season.
Ingredients: What yule need!
- 3 cups (700ml) full cream milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy or thickened cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds removed
- A dash of grated nutmeg (if desired)
- 2/3 cups (130mg) caster sugar
- 5 eggs separated, keep the yolk
- 2 Beyond bags
- Dark rum, brandy and rum as desired
- In a saucepan combine milk, cream, vanilla pod and seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Once boiled, add Beyond coffee bag to the mixture, and agitate bags. Then remove from heat and allow to steep and cool down.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks and sugar until light.
- Strain out the cinnamon, vanilla pod and Beyond bags from milk mixture. Then gradually incorporate milk mixture with eggs and sugar, whisk until smooth.
- Add alcohol until desired.
- Serve warm or cold. Can refrigerate for up to 3 days.